Read an introduction to the campaign

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Why We March: Workers' Stories

Zanoris Perez:
"I work in the Springfield School Department with a company called Educlean. I've been working there for almost a year. I'm a single mom to my two-year-old daughter. I only work four hours and with the wage that we're getting right now, it's not getting us through. I've put school off for a year to work, but looking at my situation right now, I'm not going to be able to go back to school next year.

School is my passion, I love it. I want to study pediatrics and nursing. But right now, I feel like I have to get a second job so we can at least get by. Getting a second job means I can't be in my daughter's life the way I want to. I'm not expecting to get rich, I just want to have one job, go to school, and take care of my family, so we can live ok. Not perfect, not poor, just ok. "


Selida Pol:
"I work for UNICCO at 99 High St, I work for Janitronics in Cambridge, and I work for Tufts University in Chinatown. I have 3 jobs, working 15 hours a day; I hardly get any sleep, just 4 or 4 1/2 hours. Most janitors are immigrants and we have families in our countries, and working one full-time job doesn't bring in enough to support ourselves here and send something to our families.

We are fighting in this new contract for better salaries, better treatment, more sick days because we only have two sick days and no one gets sick for just two days a year. We have to work hard to support the union, because getting this new contract is very important to winning respect for the workers and a better life."

No comments: